Switching from traditional removable dentures to implant-supported dentures can be a life-changing decision for many. The journey can lead towards a more stable, comfortable, and natural-feeling solution for replacing missing teeth. If you live in Boston and are thinking of switching from traditional dentures to implant-supported ones, we would love to welcome you for a dental implant consultation. Our dental practice has multiple dentists that specialize in placing dental implants and restoring them.
If you are still considering switching to hybrid, implant-supported, dentures, here are some things to note:
What are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Unlike conventional dentures that rest on the gums, implant-supported dentures are anchored to dental implants surgically placed in the jawbone. These implants act as a sturdy foundation, providing superior stability and reducing the bone loss commonly associated with traditional dentures.
The Process of Switching to Hybrid Dentures
- Consultation and Planning – The first step is a thorough dental examination and consultation. Your dentist will assess your oral health, the density of your jawbone, and discuss your expectations to determine if you are a suitable candidate for implant-supported dentures.
- Surgical Procedure – The procedure involves placing dental implants into the jawbone. This surgery is typically performed under local anesthesia, and in some cases, sedation might be offered for comfort. The number of implants varies based on the individual’s needs.
- Healing and Osseointegration – After the implants are placed, a crucial period of healing, known as osseointegration, begins. During this phase, the implants fuse with the bone, creating a solid foundation. This process can take several months, during which temporary dentures may be worn.
- Final Fitting – Once the implants have integrated with the jawbone, your dentist will fit the custom-made dentures. These are designed to match your natural teeth in color and shape, providing a natural and aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- Aftercare and Maintenance – Maintaining implant-supported dentures involves regular dental check-ups and good oral hygiene. Brushing, flossing, and using recommended cleaning solutions will extend the life of your new dentures.
The Benefits of Making the Switch to Implants
- Improved Comfort and Confidence – Implant-supported dentures are more stable and comfortable than traditional dentures. They eliminate the discomfort and insecurity associated with loose-fitting dentures, enhancing confidence in social situations.
- Enhanced Functionality – Eating and speaking become much easier. You can enjoy a wider variety of foods and speak more clearly, without worrying about dentures slipping or clicking.
- Preservation of Jawbone – Implants stimulate the jawbone, preventing the bone loss that typically occurs with removable dentures. This not only maintains facial structure but also promotes overall oral health.
If you are ready to make the transition from removable dentures to implant-supported ones and are looking for a dentist in Boston to get the process started, we’re here for you. Our dentists will be glad yo invite you to our Back Bay dental office for a dental implant consultation.